Deadly fire in Georgetown caused by electrical failure of small refrigerator, ruled accidental, authorities say

Authorities say house fire killed elderly Georgetown woman Saturday evening was caused by a small refrigerator.

Crews who responded to 238 Main Street just before 11 p.m. found heavy flames coming from the single-family home, according to State Fire Marshal Jon M. Davine.

Three occupants of the house escaped safely, but 80-year-old Nancy Holbrook was trapped.

Firefighters eventually located and evacuated her through a second-story window and attempted to resuscitate her at the scene.

Holbrook was transported to an area hospital where she was pronounced dead Sunday morning.

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

Woman dead after 4-alarm fire in Georgetown

A dozen regional firefighters responded to help contain the flames.

Investigators with the State Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire originated from a small refrigerator located in a wooden bar on the first floor near the front of the building. An electrical or mechanical failure involving the device was considered the cause by authorities.

State Fire Marshal Devine says between 600 and 700 structure fires are attributed to electrical events each year in Massachusetts.

“Please take a few minutes today to check your smoke detectors,” said State Fire Marshal Davine. “The manufacturing date is printed on the back of the device. Smoke detectors must be replaced after 10 years, and new alarms must have a long-lasting sealed battery and a silence feature. If your alarms still run on alkaline batteries, change the batteries twice a year. And test these alarms every month to be sure you and your loved ones are protected.

Fire Chief Matt McKay echoed similar sentiments and expressed his condolences to Nancy Holbrook’s friends and family.

“MS. Holbrook’s family and loved ones remain in our thoughts today,” said Chief McKay. “On behalf of the Georgetown Fire Department and the community, I want to extend our deepest condolences. »

This is a developing story. Check back for updates as more information becomes available.

Download the FREE Boston 25 News App for breaking news alerts.

Follow Boston 25 News on Facebook And Twitter. | Watch Boston 25 News NOW

Read Complete News ➤

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

10 + nineteen =